In this guide, created by and for freelancers, you will find tips, expert databases, and practical tools for journalists covering gender issues and journalists reporting on other topics interested in improving gender balance in their stories.
💡 Download your guide and learn how to:
- Look for gender balance and representation in your sources to tackle the marginalisation of women and LGBTQ+ people voices.
- Choose your words and images carefully to avoid perpetuating stereotypes.
- Address implicit biases - including your own.
- Avoid being reductive and understand that men, women, transgender people and other identities are not homogenous groups.
- Explore gender and identity angles in your stories
- Report on sexual and gender-based violence
- Report on transgender persons.
For freelance journalists, the goals, the rate of progress on their targets, how communities and governments are working on them present a wealth of reporting ideas. Specialising in a goal or series of goals could be a new career path.
Charlotte Godart, an investigator for Bellingcat and Eric Reidy a freelance journalist involved in crowdsourcing information for migrant-related stories talk about crowdsourcing stories, what it means and how to go about it.